#116. Henry and Lily Mitchell Residence (1894)
It was already difficult to distinguish the 1894’s Wright house, and the patriotic decoration did not help it. It is too early in Wright’s career to see signs of cantilevered overhangs or even horizontally raked mortar, but there is an apparent a balance in composition of elements. A natural order is emphasized, where the grounded house seems heaviest at the bottom and lightest at the top. The bottom floor is the heaviest, with 3 division of windows on each side and a rounded balcony with a total of six columns. Being a cylindrical shape, the entrance shapes a drastic three dimensionality to the somewhat flat façade. On the second floor, the windows on both sides extrude out at the triangulated tops, due to the sloping back of the roof. There are four windows at the middle, divided by three small pilasters, reducing the number of vertical division and thus reducing the visual weight. The top is a single rectangular window with a semicircular top, encased on either sides with two pilasters. The roof slopes further back, and successfully achieves a bottom heavy, top light appearance with a simple, symmetrical façade.